Thursday, May 22, 2014

Positive Reinforcement

I want to relish in this moment.  It is a small moment, and one I will most likely forget; which is why I want to capture it in text. 

Today I woke up at the crack of dawn (literally) so I could do something super amazing and cool....NOT.  I woke up early because I had a PowerPoint to create for a 1 PM meeting.  I had a piece of advice from a panel member at the latest "powerful women in IT event" fresh in my mind: "Make sure that when you are given an opportunity, you put in the preparation to be able to crush it."

So I rolled out of bed, got ready at lightning speed, chugged a ton of coffee and trudged into the office where I proceeded to battle Visio, Project, and my brain until I had a presentation that I felt confident about.  It included 2 process flow diagrams, a system ownership matrix, 2 mini project plans, some technical proposals, and a decision log.  (yes, I realize I'm bragging a little here, but HEY, it was a lot of work)

The meeting rolled around, and it went swimmingly.  I was able to lead excellent discussions with the executives in my department, and drive the decisions my team needed.  My boss and my boss's boss both took the time to personally compliment me on the presentation.

To put in the work, and then be recognized for it is a magnificently awesome feeling. Boom.

.......When I am a boss someday I want to make sure and remember how darn great it feels to have your boss give credit where credit is due, and I want to pass along that gift to my employees.

No comments:

Post a Comment