Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Unsolicited Advice

I do an excellent job hiding it most of the time; so, most people don't realize I'm a shy, awkward turtle at my core.  My brain tends to freeze in situations that require extended periods of small talk.

While I was in college I discovered a valuable lesson. People LOVE to give advice - like really love it.  As a naturally curious person, I found it easy to come up with question after question to ask professors, recruiters, etc.  As long as I was genuine and considerate, the information would just magically flow from their brain to mine.  Another magical result - people started  remembering me. Its much easier to remember the girl you gave life changing advice to vs. one person, among many to introduce themselves, make small talk, and move on.  

Enough about the benefits.  I want to spend this time to reflect upon the pieces of advice that have been the most valuable up to this point in my career.  Just to clarify for those of you who don't me, and see a blog riddled with a few typos; I have had a very successful career up to this point in time.  :)


1.) "It's not personal."  This phrase I find myself repeating over and over.  That person yelling at you in a meeting, who sent you an extremely snarky email, or who blew off your meeting all together - It is not a reflection of their personal opinion of your character; its just business.  It ALWAYS feels personal, but is almost always NOT personal.  Even if it is a personal insult to your character, if they are making work that personal, they are most definitely not worth the time you are going to spend fretting about it.

2.) "Be a sponge." Ask as many questions as possible, and listen to the answers. Really listen.  Google things you don't know but think you should, and don't be ashamed to utilize the crap out of Wikipedia.   Don't get overwhelmed by the fire hose of information being sprayed at you, instead, enjoy it. Take time to observe the coworkers you respect, and pick up the habits that make them successful. Be a sponge - absorb as much information as you can.

3.) If you have stopped learning and growing, its time to go.   If you are in a job where you have stopped growing, its time to start looking for a new one.  Staying in a job that is not satisfying will not only bring you down, but can bring the morale of the whole team down.

4.) Network, Network, Network.  Your network can never be too big.  You never know who will provide you that next opportunity,  offer invaluable piece of advice, or be your boss some day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment